Sunday, October 2, 2011

Carole's Favorite Coffee Cake

We had a potluck at the house for the Mullen’s going away party. There were so many desserts, I wasn’t able to try Carole’s coffee cake. She took it back home with her. She wanted to leave it, but knew I had so much other stuff, she thought she’d give it to her neighbor. I found out later that Norm loved it and wished he had some of it, so I baked him one. This way I was able to give it a try since I missed the opportunity.

Recipe:
1 1/2 cups white flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup shortening (I used butter)
3/4 cup milk
1 egg
Topping (below)

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Grease round layer pan, 9 x 1 1/2 inches, or square pan, 8x8x2 or 9x9x2 inches. Blend all ingredients except Topping; beat vigorously 1/2 minute. Spread in pan.

Sprinkle Topping over batter. Bake 25-30 minutes or until toothpick in center comes out clean. 9-12 servings

Topping: Mix 1/3 cup brown sugar (packed), 1/4 cup flour, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and 3 tablespoons butter until crumbly.

I didn’t think my coffee cake looked as moist and rich as Carole’s. Mine tasted a little on the salty side, so I’m not sure if I did something wrong and not being able to compare how Carole’s tasted, I don’t know what happened. My husband ate the entire thing though, so I guess it wasn’t all bad.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lynn,
    Your coffee cake looks delicious, and it must've tasted great if your hubby ate the entire thing.
    Reminds me of a saying I learned when I was a young girl, "The proof of the pudding is in the eating."
    Donna

    ReplyDelete