Sunday, June 12, 2011

Elizabeth Berg's Wickedly Delicious Chocolate Cake

As a writer, I fell in love with Elizabeth Berg’s writing book, Escaping into the Open, The Art of Writing True. Her last chapter talked about food and she listed some of her favorite recipes. Since the writing book was great, I knew the recipes would be too.

I made this cake for my older sister’s birthday. Since this cake doesn’t require icing – or at least it wasn’t recommended, I decided to serve this cake with a little more pizzazz than just bringing out a plain ole cake. Not that there was anything “plain ole” about this cake. I made a heart stencil and then used powdered sugar to make the design.

Berg said the recipe came from Parents magazine. She also suggested serving it with a strawberry on the side “or be a real swine and eat it with ice cream.” My older sister—okay all of us in the family are ice cream lovers, so home-made vanilla ice cream was the perfect combo with this cake. We didn’t mind being swines.

If you love to write and eat, I highly recommend this book. It’s a win-win with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment