Sunday, July 10, 2011

Apple Pie

Who doesn’t like this All American Favorite? When someone says pie, usually people think apple. If you make the entire pie from scratch, it can take a while. See my Cherry Pie for the pie crust.

Peeling and slicing the apples can take a good deal of time, but if you have a peeler/slicer gadget thing that certainly helps.

After you have the two-pie crust made and you’re ready for the filling, I use Betty Crocker’s recipe, but sometimes I add an extra apple or two.

For a 9 inch pie:
¾ cup sugar
¼ cup flour
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
dash of salt
6 cups thinly sliced pared tart apples (about 6 medium)
2 tablespoons of butter

Prepare your pastry or see my post for step-by-step directions of making pie crust. Mix sugar, flour, spices and then stir in apples. Turn into pastry lined pie plate and dot with butter. Cover with top crust with slits, seal and flute. Cover the edge with 3 inch aluminum strip and remove during the last 15 minutes of baking if necessary. Bake at 425 degrees until crust is brown and juice begins to bubble through slits, about 40-50 minutes.

I have one of those pie crust covers, but they don’t seem to work for me even though it’s much easier to plop that over the pie plate then fooling around with the foil strips. I have found if I tear the three strips in half (so there’s six little strips), it’s easier to keep around the pie plate. One always wants to fall off causing the others to fall off. I don’t know why the smaller strips stay on better, you’d think it’d be the opposite. Another tip of mine—I always use glass pie plates. I don’t know why I don’t like the metal or tin plates, but for some reason they seem to take on the flavor of the metal.

Oh yeah, after the pie comes out of the oven, I sprinkle it with a sugar and cinnamon mixture.

1 comment: